The aim of this course is to help students develop as writers within the English speaking academic community by raising awareness, practicing and reflecting upon the conventions of written academic texts.
During the course, students will:
- become familiar with the genre of critique and other major genres of critical writing;
- enhance their argumentative skills related to practicing these genres;
- have the opportunity to develop their writing process through generating ideas, drafting, peer evaluation and individual writing consultations;
- learn to take into consideration the expectations of their readership with regard to academic English discourse conventions;
- learn to incorporate the work of other authors into their own writing;
- develop their revising and editing skills so as to be able to refine their own written work.
- learn how to use sources appropriately and avoid plagiarism