Wittgenstein

Campus: 
Budapest
Academic Year: 
2019-2020
Term: 
Winter
Credits: 
2.0
ECTS Credits: 
4.0
Course Description: 

The course will be based on a close reading of parts of the Philosophical Investigations and some other late work by Wittgenstein. I shall start with Wittgenstein’s remarks on following a rule, from section 143 of the PI. We shall also discuss Kripke’s interpretation of these remarks. I cannot estimate how many meetings this will take: it should be done properly, and the pace of reading will also depend on the class. Following this, we shall continue from the beginning, unless students’ interests suggest that we study other, more closely relevant remarks. In the process, we shall learn how to read the Investigations, this most influential and controversial philosophical text of the twentieth century.

Learning Outcomes: 

A better informed and critical approach to questions in the philosophy of mind and language, and to philosophical methodology more generally.

Assessment: 

Term paper of approximately 2500 words, preferably interpreting passages from Wittgenstein’s writings. Students should consult me about the paper’s subject.