For students taking the course for a Grade:
- First in-class presentation, approximately 10-15 minutes in length: 10%. Over the course of the term, students will give a presentation on one of the course readings, or on their own work in progress (if it pertains to the topic of the course). The presentation should focus on critically evaluating an author’s argument and/or advancing one’s own argument. Students will sign up for a presentation slot at the beginning of the term.
- Second in-class presentation, approximately 10-15 minutes in length: 10%. During Week 12, students will give a presentation on their final paper. The presentation should summarize the main thesis and argument of the paper.
- Final paper, 4000 words in length: 80%. The final paper will be due on the first day of the Spring term. Students will be required to submit a 1-page paper proposal in Week 9.
- Excellent class participation will boost the final grade in borderline cases.
For students taking the course for an Audit:
- Regular class attendance and participation.