The aim of this course is to help you further develop as a writer within the English speaking academic community by raising awareness of, practicing, and reflecting upon the conventions of written texts. In addition to addressing issues related to academic writing, the course will also focus on the other skills you will need to complete your graduate level work in English.
During the course, you will:
- become more familiar with the genres of and enhance the skills related to critique-based and argumentative writing.
- acquire a better awareness of and ability to use effectively the discourse patterns of academic English.
- improve your critical writing skills.
- have the opportunity to develop your writing process through generating ideas, drafting, peer evaluation and individual writing consultations.
- learn to take into consideration the expectations of your readership with regard to academic English discourse conventions.
- learn to incorporate the work of other authors into your own writing within the requirements of English academic practice.
- develop your revising and editing skills.
- gain confidence in expressing yourself in both spoken and written English, through in-class writing and speaking, homework and consultations.
Additional Information: mandatory for all MA students.