CEU application details
History in the Public Sphere is a 120 ECTS English-language program awarding a Multiple Degree. It is organized around four thematic foci, which cover the most pressing questions historians and practitioners have been faced with in an increasingly connected, globalized world: the institutionalization of memory and the politicization of history; visual representations and medialization of history; histories of inclusion and exclusion; and entanglements between national, regional, and global frameworks of history. The program aims to bring together historical scholarship and civic engagement in order to prepare students for careers in producing, translating, and disseminating historical knowledge through museums, journalism, archives, broadcasting, and digital communication. It also lays special emphasis on developing skills and social competences through study trips, practitioner workshops, and internships, which enable graduates to work with non-experts and civic actors in the process of disseminating historical knowledge. Students receive research training and develop individually either a Thesis or a Capstone Project.
Entry Requirements for the Master’s Programs
Applicants must hold the equivalent of an academic Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized higher education institution, corresponding to at least 180 ECTS, in a field relevant to the program, preferably in the humanities and social sciences. For candidates holding a BA degree in a different field, relevant working experience will be taken into consideration.
Applicants are required to submit:
- electronic versions of all higher education academic records
- curriculum vitae or resume
- motivation letter (max. 1000 words), highlighting the candidate’s reasons for applying to the program, relevant academic or work experience, and future career plans (under "document uploads" in the online application form). Applicants should indicate their research interest and preliminary preference regarding thematic foci and mobility track (under "research proposal" in the online application form).
- proof of English proficiency
- certificate of residence
- two letters of recommendation